This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Read more

Mortgage & Equity Release - Call Us 0117 313 7780

1.27% 2 Year Fixed

  • FREE Valuation

Representative Example: Overall Cost For Comparison 4.2% APRC. Mortgage of £120,000 on property valued at £200,000 over 25 year term. Fixed for 2 years after which reverts to Post Office variable rate of 4.49%.

Call Post Office FREE on 0808 178 6813

Compare Help to Buy Mortgages

There are no results matching your search

Help to buy mortgages

Our Help To Buy Mortgage Service

Special features of what we offer include:

  • Get the best help to buy mortgage deals in the UK
  • Whole of market service - we work with most UK lenders
  • Access to leading market mortgage rates
  • Access to exclusive loan deals not available on high street
  • Fast turnaround - speak to us today if you need to move quickly

To investigate your HELP 2 BUY mortgage options call our mortgage team on 0117 313 7780 or fill in our call back form.

Saving up a big enough deposit to buy a house can present a real challenge for many people. Unless you are fortunate enough to have substantial savings or have inherited money from a relative, the prospect of home ownership can seem like a distant dream.

A Help to Buy mortgage could offer you the chance to own your own home with a deposit of as little as 5%, provided that you meet certain criteria.

Mortgage Advice Button 1

Help to Buy mortgages are part of the second phase of the Government’s Help to Buy scheme (the first phase applied to new build properties only). The purpose of the scheme is to make it easier for people with small deposits to buy their first property, or for existing homeowners to move house without needing a huge amount of equity in their current property.

How does a Help to Buy mortgage work?

Under this system, borrowers across the whole of the UK can put down a deposit of as little as 5% of the property price. The lender offers a mortgage covering the other 95%. Lenders pay a fee to the Government to be part of the scheme, in return for which they receive a seven-year Government-backed guarantee to cover 15% of the loan value.

At the time of writing, there are nine high street mortgage providers currently offering Help to Buy mortgages, and the scheme is planned to run in its current form until 31st December 2016.

Help to Buy Mortgages – what you need to know

The Help to Buy mortgage scheme is available for both new and existing properties across the UK, up to a value of £600,000.

It’s important to understand that while the Help to Buy scheme could be a really useful means of getting onto the housing ladder with a lower deposit than is usually required, is not a payment guarantee scheme, and you need to budget for the repayments and associated costs of moving. The scheme protects your lender in the event that you default, and you will still be liable for missed payments (and could risk losing your home if you do not keep up with repayments) just as with any other mortgage.

The scheme is available to both first time buyers and those who want to move up the housing ladder.

The property you buy must be your primary residence and not a second home or a holiday home.

The scheme is not available for buy to let mortgages – if you plan on purchasing a property to rent out, you will need to choose a different kind of mortgage.

Offset and guarantor mortgages are currently excluded from the Help to Buy mortgage scheme

Help to Buy mortgages are repayment mortgages – interest only options are not available.

In addition to meeting the specific Help to Buy criteria, you and any joint applicants will need to pass the usual eligibility checks for a mortgage as set out by your mortgage lender. This may include a credit check and affordability checks to ensure you can repay the mortgage.

You cannot apply for a Help to Buy mortgage deal in conjunction with any of the Government’s other home ownership schemes, such as NewBuy or Shared Equity schemes.

In order to be eligible for the Help to Buy mortgage scheme, you must be a UK citizen or have the right to remain indefinitely in the UK. The scheme only applies to properties in the UK.

The specific criteria for the Help to Buy mortgage scheme is applicable to all named mortgage holders.

For help to buy mortgage advice and quotes click here »


house icon

Looking for advice on your help to buy mortgage options? Call 0117 313 7780 or Request Callback to speak to our friendly team

For a FREE initial conversation about your mortgage options complete our short enquiry form.

request call back

Please confirm your details

Extra information

The optional information below will help us to contact you